- Head, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture
- General Manager - Oxnard (CA) USA
- Trader Fruit - Rungis (France)
- Fruit & vegetables Export - Import manager
- Import-Export senior Sales Agents to Europe - Barcelona, Spain
- Teamleader Agronomist Vertical Farm - Poeldijk, The Netherlands
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- QA Officer Retail - Maasdijk
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
William Nannes, Beemsterboer:
"Forget large onion volumes from Africa for this harvest"
"January/February 2013 Senegal imported a record quantity of onions, 40,000 tonnes. With a consumption of about 4,000 tonnes per week these volumes were far too large. Depending on the weather conditions the local harvest starts about the middle of February. In 2013 there were still so many import onions on the market that were very much in the way and as a result prices decreased to below cost price and in turn importers and exporters lost millions" Nannes says, looking back.
"The government will definitely not allow this to happen a second time and will probably only agree to a limited volume, which will not be related to the volumes of last year. There are sufficient onions on the market now and prices decreased during the last month rather than increased" William continues. "The second large importer is Ivory Coast, but because of the large volumes imported during December the market is bad at the moment and I do not expect any demand from there. For the present harvest we may just as well forget about large volumes from Africa and we will have to be satisfied with other destinations."
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-01-18 China: “Multiple factors behind recent increases in onion export prices to Europe”
- 2019-01-18 The Ruggiero company inaugurates two new plants
- 2019-01-18 Winds of change for the potato sector
- 2019-01-17 Bangladesh: Onions cheaper at Khatunganj wholesale market
- 2019-01-17 Pakistan government urged to help export of potatoes to China
- 2019-01-17 'Onion market is better, and it’s important to keep the drive alive'
- 2019-01-17 In with spring, out with the Dutch onions
- 2019-01-16 Why do white onion prices fluctuate more in the US?
- 2019-01-16 Colombia: Researchers create pesticide against plague that attacks potatoes
- 2019-01-16 The French traditional shallot is having a great year
- 2019-01-16 Turkey lifts customs duty on onions
- 2019-01-15 Film released on Potato Biodiversity
- 2019-01-15 Uzbekistan: Dutch giant Kiremko can start producing chips
- 2019-01-15 Just like tomatoes, potatoes can flourish in Kenya’s dry north
- 2019-01-15 Canadian judge orders shipper to pay in dispute
- 2019-01-14 'Increased supply of French potatoes in retail'
- 2019-01-14 Scientists unravel genetics of potato skin and flesh colour
- 2019-01-14 "We still have Dutch onions for the whole year"
- 2019-01-14 France: we are expecting firm prices
- 2019-01-11 India: Maharashtra onion belt sees 65% drop in sowing activity