- Looking for reinforcement?
- Office and Sales Administrator - Rotterdam
- Marketing and Administration Assistant - Sunraysia region, Mildura Victoria, Australia
- Grower (Hemp/Tomatoes/Cukes) - Monahans (Texas) USA
- Innovation Director - De Lier, Netherlands
- Sales Representatives Horticultural Greenhouses - Mexico
- Account Manager Fleuristes France - Hollande du Nord
- Account Manager Benelux Team - Midden-Nederland
- Assistant Breeder - Moerstraten, Netherlands
- Inkoper retail - Aalsmeer
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL BLUEBERRY MARKET
- Will Asia Fruit Logistica take place in September? Trade show organization offers participants option in December
- South Africa: Port activities halted again due to violence against truckers
- Avocado market expected to tighten in coming weeks
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL BERRY MARKET
Potato vending machine success in French city!
Until now we have been familiar with vending machines for banknotes, flowers, pizzas, fresh bread, condoms, DVDs, sandwiches…Since December, in Nouvion, French fry enthusiasts can now get their precious potatoes at any time of the day or night! Installed beside the D1001 road, at the entrance to the commune when arriving from Abbeville, a vending machine issues 10kg sacks of potatoes to those who want.
Members of an agricultural society, two vegetable farmers from the sector are behind this installation: Pierre Delcourt and Thierry Briet. ''We discovered this system whilst on an exchange trip to Germany 8 years ago. The farmer was selling all of his products this way. We thought that we needed to bring the same system over here,'' recalls Thierry Briet. An identical machine also exists in the carpark of a hypermarket in Saint-Riquier.
Each year, over 5,000 tonnes of tubers are produced on the 135 hectares that are consecrated to them. Now, a few days after activating their vending machine, they are selling off over 400 kg a week thanks to it. ''It's starting off really well, Pierre Delcourt is pleased to say. We' are targeting a ton a week within six months.''
The concept is straightforward. A 600 kg stock of potatoes is put on conveyer belts inside the machine, which is not much bigger than those of a bank distributor. The client just has to put their card into the card reader, choose between the two varieties on offer (Trésor for French fries and mash, Charlotte for steamed cooking) and wait for the 10 kg sack to come out. The price of the unwashed potatoes varies between 4 or 5 Euro, depending on the variety. ''As a general rule it is cheaper than in the shops,'' says a smiling Pierre Delcourt.
When the stock is about to run out, the farmers are warned by a text message and act within minutes to recharge the machine. ''It is part of the new ways of marketing. There is no reason why farmers should not benefit from it. This modern way of selling enables us to avoid wasting time waiting for the client, and the client does not need to come to us either. They know where they can be sure to find the product.''
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-09-13 MMTC invites bids for import of 2,000 tons of onions
- 2019-09-13 Huge potential for Australian sweet potatoes in Europe
- 2019-09-13 United States 2018 potato production down slighty from 2017
- 2019-09-13 Ireland: Rainfall continuing to cause problems for potato harvest
- 2019-09-12 September to be tight for Louisiana sweet potatoes
- 2019-09-12 'Stability at the potato market, rain halts onion harvest'
- 2019-09-12 Smaller tubers at Thuringian potato harvest
- 2019-09-12 Kenya: Elgeyo Marakwet farmers suffer losses as rains damage roads
- 2019-09-12 Event on storing potatoes in Ireland after the CIPC ban
- 2019-09-12 ‘Fight to keep potato disease out of NZ is lost’
- 2019-09-12 Early fresh harvest in PEI has been light with reported yields down
- 2019-09-12 Idaho demand has been “fairly good” this week
- 2019-09-11 Potatoes USA ends funding to Culinary Institute of America
- 2019-09-11 "Little free trade, potato prices under pressure"
- 2019-09-11 The NEPG expects a production of 27.3 million tons of potatoes
- 2019-09-11 Louisiana: Collaborative relationships to sustain sweet potato industry
- 2019-09-11 Heritage and specialty potato varieties are taking Ireland by storm
- 2019-09-10 "Good demand for seed onions from Brazil"
- 2019-09-10 Low nitrogen decreases yield in table potatoes but not in the wild ones
- 2019-09-10 Department of Agriculture in Philippines forecasts higher onion yield