- Environmental Officer - Home based
- Commercial Manager - Fresh Produce, Kenya
- Assistant Growers - Australia
- Grower Managers and Senior Growers - Australia
- Sales Manager Europe - Mont-Ras (Girona), ES
- Global Sales Manager - Negotiable location
- Manager / director vegetable processing Russia
- Sales Manager - AIS Greenworks, Australia
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Regional Quality Assurance (QA) Manager Fresh - Antwerp, Belgium
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Fair Trade campaign urges EU to set up cashew regulation
Campaigners are objecting to a economic model in which a supermarket earns just over £1 from a bag of cashews sold for £2.50 while the factory worker in these developing countries makes 3p per day.
Comments made by EU Commissioner for internal markets, Michael Barnier, shows that a case may be taken up against the industry.
"Farmers and workers across the world are suffering every day because of unfair trading practices by supermarkets," said Liz May, head of policy at the fair trade organisation Traidcraft in an interview with the Guardian newspaper.
"It's time the EU took action and set up a regulator with the power to stop abuses by retailers that result in extremely low pay and appalling working conditions, " she said.
It is suggested that with its premium price, the cashew nut industry could be a great opportunity for Africa and India economically. Globally, it is a $4 billion (£2.5 billion) industry that provides jobs for millions.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-05-17 "There are certainly opportunities in the German trade for Iranian dates and pistachios"
- 2019-05-16 Besana International signs agreement to produce hazelnuts, almonds and pistachios in Uzbekistan
- 2019-05-15 Baja California, stands out for the production of dates
- 2019-05-15 Significant damage caused by fire in Blue Diamond plant Sacramento
- 2019-05-14 Pakistan: Date production falling behind due to lack of innovation
- 2019-05-13 Bangladesh: Higher demand for nuts
- 2019-05-13 Tunisia: 1000 tons of dates available at affordable prices during Ramadan
- 2019-05-13 Dates: "Sales during Ramadan 2019 are much better"
- 2019-05-10 Bangladesh: Falling import costs & adequate stocks bring down date prices
- 2019-05-07 Kurdistan Region: Iraq’s import ban on dates drives up prices
- 2019-05-06 Bangladesh: Date prices comparatively low before Ramadan
- 2019-05-06 “Despite difficult start we now have a good supply of dates from South Africa”
- 2019-05-06 Senegal: Dates flood the market for Ramadan
- 2019-05-02 "Socially certified organic Medjoul dates fulfil a need"
- 2019-05-01 "Medjool date market remains well balanced despite acreage growth"
- 2019-04-29 Consumers begin to appreciate nutritional value of dried Chinese goji berries
- 2019-04-26 US and Europe first to see new organic Medjool date brand
- 2019-04-25 Qatar: Large demand for dates ahead of Ramadan
- 2019-04-24 Spanish almond sector loses 14 million Euros
- 2019-04-24 Wonderful Brands and New Factor join forces to market pistachios & almonds in Italy