- COO Flower & Plant greenhouse production farm, Vietnam
- Sales Representative - Leamington (Ontario) Canada
- Assistant Production & Plant Health Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Head of International Farming
- Sr. Productinnovatie (R&D) Engineer
- Aftersales Coördinator
- Maintenance Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Netherlands loses ground with peppers to Spain
Therefore it appears mainly re-export is lagging behind. In the same period, there were a third more peppers imported from Spain to Germany. Compared to last year there was more Spanish product imported in the first three months of this year. The import from The Netherlands (Dutch product) remained especially in the months May and July behind last year. Dutch export to second receiver, England stayed behind in the period January to July by 5% and export to Sweden 12%. The only two countries where signs show significantly more import up until July are Belgium and Norway.
This year less imported into The Netherlands
Dutch import of peppers has this year sharply (a quarter) lagged behind that from the same period of the previous year. Imports from Israel halved and those from Spain were 6% smaller. Spanish export of peppers in the first seven months of this year had grown by 7%. This, after last year, could be another record year with more than 500,000 tons exported mainly due to German import in the first seven months of this year which is striking: +22%. Due to the large German demand, export to France and Italy fell slightly.
The Netherlands is the worlds second largest exporter of peppers
The total world production of peppers is not known. There is a (FAO) figure of the production of peppers and chillies together. China is the most important producer with an estimated production of around 15.5 million tons. Mexico, Turkey and Indonesia are the other producers with a yearly harvest of more than 1 million tons. World export of peppers is again not exactly known, the figure which is available again combines peppers and chillies. Mexico is, however, the largest. From this country it is well known that they produced more chillies than peppers in 2012, respectively 403.000 and 364.000 ton. In export value peppers predominate chillies, respectively in 2012, 409 and 381 million dollars. Incidentally almost all goes to northern neighbour, the United States. Spain is the second largest exporter. Spain is, therefore, the main exporter of peppers in the world. The Netherlands is viewed worldwide as the third exporter of chillies and the second of only peppers.
USA leading importer; 5.500 ton organic
The United States was by far the largest importer in 2012 with an amount of nearly 900.000 ton. It is for the most part due to peppers. The USA registers the product separately as organic. In 2012 there was 5.500 tons grown of which 3.300 ton was under glass. Quite a distance away Germany is the top second importer and England is third. The Netherlands is the world's fourth largest importer.
Fore more info:
Fruit & Vegetable Facts
Jan Kees Boon
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-12-06 “Only a few main players are left in Israeli export market”
- 2019-12-05 “100% of our products sent via plane”
- 2019-12-05 'Pears lost overall importance as citrus took centre stage'
- 2019-12-05 Pakistani minister blames suspension of trade with India for high food prices
- 2019-12-05 Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government increases fruit & vegetable imports from Afghanistan
- 2019-12-05 “High demand for Belgian strawberries and pears, disappointing winter veggie trade”
- 2019-12-05 Bumper vegetable yield in Cumilla makes growers happy
- 2019-12-05 China is the largest importer of Ukrainian agro-food products
- 2019-12-04 Uzbekistan discusses increase of fruit and vegetable exports
- 2019-12-04 2019 Australian macadamia crop reaches 43,500 tonnes in-shell
- 2019-12-04 Mexico says tariffs will drive up tomato prices in US
- 2019-12-02 Nuts, frozen berries and apples among Ukraine’s most important export products
- 2019-12-02 Iran: Duties to for tomato exports as of December 22
- 2019-12-02 The EU and China agree on the recognition of 100 mutual PGIs and PDOs
- 2019-12-02 Production costs cannot be higher than sales prices
- 2019-12-02 'Native apples of the Elstar, Jonagold and Boskoop varieties dominated'
- 2019-11-29 Fruit and vegetable imports from North African countries having impact on the European sector
- 2019-11-29 Tajikistan's fruit and vegetable import declines
- 2019-11-28 Larger assortment of fruit and veg in Norwegian stores stimulates more unhealthy consumers
- 2019-11-28 "There have been delays for some crops, but there are no serious effects of the weather."