- Office (sales) manager China - Zhangjiagang
- Apple Production Manager - Freestate, South Africa
- Entomologist - Canada
- Head Grower - Hudson (OH) USA
- Product Developer - Italy
- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe (Benelux - Germany)
- Technical sales specialists Florida, Virginia, North Caroline, South Carolina, Texas, - USA
- Business Development Manager Spain
- Director of Operations - Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Kenyan avocado season has mixed results depending on variety
- Walmart: $10bln surprise after buying Flipkart
- "Ceremony held for first shipment of cold-treatment-free cherries from Izmir, Turkey"
- "If you do not have IP amongst your offering you will quickly lose relevance in the market"
Top 5 -last month
As disease takes toll on citrus, more Florida farmers turning to olives
For the past eight years, HLB disease has wreaked havoc to the tune of billions of dollars in financial loss on the Sunshine State's citrus market. Garcia said that in that time, Florida farming has taken an interest in olives.
Soil, climate and other conditions make areas suitable for citrus growth also accommodating for olives. “Basically anywhere you grow citrus trees, you can grow olive trees,” he said. The crop traditionally has come from outside the U.S., with an estimated 98 percent import rate accounting for the 85 million gallons of olive oil consumed in the country last year.
Demand for olive products is up as Americans recognize the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet, with olive oil consumption up 7 percent last year. That has opened opportunities for larger commercial operations, Garcia said.
He said he doesn't know exactly how many commercial growers there are across the state, but the amount stands at less than a dozen, with approximately 200 acres planted.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-07-19 Canada: "Orri mandarins are popular when available"
- 2019-07-19 Mexican limes lean on good quality supplies
- 2019-07-19 "South African orange prices currently at a low level in China"
- 2019-07-18 Florida governor DeSantis announces $100 mln in Irma recovery for citrus
- 2019-07-18 Some imported oranges have no obvious advantage in Chinese market
- 2019-07-18 China: How are pomelo prices looking this year?
- 2019-07-18 Hainan honey pomelo enters market early, price goes up
- 2019-07-18 The EU won't reconsider the negative impact of the Mercosur agreement on citrus fruits
- 2019-07-18 “The rest of the country can’t touch us on soft citrus”
- 2019-07-18 Challenging year for domestic orange production
- 2019-07-17 Negative balance for the Region of Valencia's 2018/19 citrus campaign
- 2019-07-17 Florida all orange forecast 2018-2019: 76.5 million boxes
- 2019-07-16 Argentina: Intense frost in Entre Ríos damages citrus production
- 2019-07-16 South Africa port crisis: Berthing delays, shortages of containers and hauliers
- 2019-07-16 New citrus canker fighting technology announced
- 2019-07-16 New study on citrus greening disease
- 2019-07-15 Southern Europe citrus volumes dropping slightly
- 2019-07-15 Sumo fruit trending on Instagram
- 2019-07-15 Tariffs on Brazilian orange juice will progressively disappear over ten years
- 2019-07-15 "Minister Patel can save citrus from Transnet Go-Slow"