- Sales Manager / Director - West Coast primary, USA
- Medewerker productmanagement support - Bleiswijk
- Head grower & Indoor farming-/hydroponic specialist - Küssnacht am Rigi, Switzerland
- Technical Director - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Onderzoekassistent Fenotyperen - Bleiswijk
- Horticultural Soil Sales Representative - USA
- Turnkey Vegetable Greenhouse Sales Representative - USA
- Sales Administrator - Europe Division
- Junior Sales Manager - Europe Division
- Head Grower - Avoine, France
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- South Africa issues notice of termination of some citrus exports to the EU
- Ozone brings MRLs of fungicides and pesticides down within limits
- Malaysian durian growers cut down trees over Pahang Land Deal frustration
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL POMEGRANATE MARKET
- Egypt now second producer of sun-dried tomatoes, behind Italy
South Africa: New plan for farm workers
Many of the people who took part in the recent riots were not full-time workers, but job seekers or seasonal workers, it emerged.
Asked how the plan will affect these people's problems, Gerrit van Rensburg, Western Cape Minister of Agriculture, said the plan's actions, such as the toll-free telephone line, can be used by any member of the community.
He also said unemployment is not a problem which be solved by his department alone.
Joyene Isaacs, head of department, said they have to start somewhere, because it is a complex situation.
The plan includes:
• A farm worker survey must solve the problem of the lack of reliable information on the number of farm workers in the province and their living conditions.
• Case studies on best practices of successful interaction between farm workers and farmers will be documented and distributed to stakeholders in the agricultural sector.
• A Youth Empowerment Program where students can get internships.
• Promotion of ethical trade.
• Conversations between farm workers, farmers and the Western Cape cabinet.
• A communication plan to share progress and to convey certain messages.
• A toll-free telephone number for complaints.
• Training on mechanization
• Improved housing for farm workers.
• Farm worker organizations. These structures should not compete with unions.
• Sports programs.
These steps can not all be taken at the same time and Van Rensburg said he was concerned about the possibility that unrest could flare up again.
"It is not good for the Western Cape economy. There are better ways to solve your problems."
• The DA will have to dig deeper into the involvement of Minister of Agriculture, Tina Joemat-Pettersson's in the unrest.
Source: The Burger
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-09-22 USDA cites PK Produce Inc. in Ohio for PACA violations
- 2020-09-22 Spanish garlic growers fear that the UK will become a backdoor for Chinese garlic after Brexit
- 2020-09-21 Frutos Tropicales Europe warns of scammer
- 2020-09-21 Administration rolls out $14 Billion CFAP 2.0 program for farmers
- 2020-09-21 Agri SA reorganisation ‘will address South Africa’s agri risks’
- 2020-09-21 Migrating seasonal workers may soon take up full-time employment
- 2020-09-21 Over $2 Million worth of narcotics discovered at Pharr International Bridge
- 2020-09-21 Spain demands flexible application of funds for European eco-schemes until 2027
- 2020-09-18 USDA announces contracts for round 3 of Farmers to Families Food Box Program
- 2020-09-18 Ukraine is considering a ban on potato imports from Russia
- 2020-09-16 USDA PACA updates
- 2020-09-16 State governments invest heavily to attract Aussie workers to horticulture jobs during COVID-19 pandemic
- 2020-09-16 'Corona - learn to play outside again'
- 2020-09-16 Young Australians could be given Jobseeker payments as incentive to pick fruit
- 2020-09-15 CBP officers discover $6.6 million in hard narcotics at Hidalgo and Pharr International Bridges
- 2020-09-11 Latest GDP results confirms that agriculture is leading economic recovery
- 2020-09-10 USDA cites Hunter Bros. Inc. in Pennsylvania for PACA violations
- 2020-09-10 Peruvian grapefruits enjoying more opportunities in Chinese market
- 2020-09-09 Spain: Which Spanish regions would be most affected by Brexit tariffs?
- 2020-09-08 Sterile fruit flies contribute to reduction in Queensland fruit fly population