- Junior buyer/ seller - Alicante, Spain
- Office and Sales Administrator - Alkmaar - Schagen, Nederland
- Greenhouse Plug Propagator - Dunnville (Ontario) Canada
- Head Grower new Tomato farm, Iowa USA
- Sales Manager
- Senior Grower Tomato, NSW Australia
- Grower Managers (5ha or 10ha) - Australia
- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
- Sales Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Package with avocados in different ripening stages launched
- Unrest in Chile affects cherry export to China
- Blueberries see stronger availability for 2019-2020 imports
- Hars & Hagebauer is looking for agents/producers in South Africa
- "It is everyone’s responsibility to accurately show how many hectares have been planted and where to forecast the future volumes"
Top 5 -last month
NZ: Avocado growers seek consistency in production for export potential
New Zealand exports close to US$40 million (NZ$48.4m) worth of avocados a year, a level that could grow by US$9m over the next five years if it irons out its production issues, according to a report published by the Coriolis research group late last year.
Head of the New Zealand Avocado Jen Scoular said the main issue was irregular bearing, with orchards producing well one year and then poorly the next.
"Without consistent volumes, it's hard for export markets to develop," she said. "You don't want to develop good relationships in the market and apologise the next year."
She believed the export opportunity was even greater than that stated in the Coriolis report, with the fruit increasingly popular among consumers in Asia. Korea, Malaysia, and China were seen as the "next big markets".
China was the jewel in the crown, with demand outstripping very limited domestic supply. New Zealand does not currently export avocados to China, but NZA is in the process of negotiating an export permit.
But time on the clock is ticking.
Central and South American avocado producers' exports are 22 times bigger than that of New Zealand. Most Central and South American avocados are sold to the US market, where demand has expanded at a 10 per cent pace for the past 10 years.
That's expected to last another five years until supply outstrips demand, at which point the low-cost producers will start looking to target Asian markets.
Scoular said New Zealand-produced avocados had the advantage of New Zealand's clean-green brand in the market, but the supply issue remained the real constraint to trade.
So far the industry was looking to address this by reproducing orchard management practices of growers whose fruit bearings were more consistent, as well as looking at pollination techniques, such as replacing bees with bumblebees.
NZA has also applied for funding from the Ministry for Business Innovation and Employment under the Primary Growth Partnership scheme, and is working with Plant & Food New Zealand and the Ministry for Primary Industries on research.
Scoular said production could also potentially increase in future, as growers shift away from kiwifruit, which has been hit by the Psa disease. However, higher yields on the gold kiwifruit varietal was slowing the adoption.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-11-15 Guangzhou successfully exports fresh persimmon to Canada for the first time
- 2019-11-15 Launch in Spain of a powerful kaki promotional campaign
- 2019-11-15 The different ways retailers educate consumers on avocado ripeness
- 2019-11-15 Philippine growers will highlight coconut products at German 2020 BioFach fair
- 2019-11-15 Australian Lady Jane mangoes to hit stores next week
- 2019-11-15 Average persimmon prices in Italy
- 2019-11-14 "Anytime is Avotime!"
- 2019-11-14 With a kaki harvest like this, the opening of new markets is clearly necessary
- 2019-11-13 South Africa: New and sweeter dragon fruit cultivars
- 2019-11-13 "Plans to export Australian mangoes to China not yet affected by bushfires"
- 2019-11-13 Malaysia: 770 hectares under pineapple in inter-cropping project
- 2019-11-13 Avocado prices lowest in almost three years
- 2019-11-13 The US revives Peruvian pineapple exports
- 2019-11-13 Fresh mangoes from Malawi arrive on Indian markets this winter
- 2019-11-13 New South Wales avocado farmer fears fire could ruin crop
- 2019-11-12 Greenskin exports from Israel at approximately 208,000 cartons
- 2019-11-12 Asian paddy farmers urged to opt for crop diversification
- 2019-11-12 This season marks a big contrast between South American mango growing countries
- 2019-11-11 Mango import program from Australia expands
- 2019-11-11 "We are about to sell the first Panama pineapples in China"