- European Export Sales Manager (Asia Market)
- Autonomous Greenhouse Manager
- Sales & Product representative Pot & Garden USA
- Supervisor International Horticultural Projects (USA)
- Director Of Growing - Carleton (MI) USA
- Greenhouse Manager - Cleburne (TX) USA
- Sales Manager
- Growing Manager young vegetable plants
- Sales Agents / Representatives - Germany
- Lead Grower California USA
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
China going nuts for US pecans
The rise of the pecan in China started in 2007 when walnuts, which were very popular in the country at the time, experience dramatic price rises. The Chinese went searching for a new nut and found the US pecan. The US supplies 80% of world demand for pecan nuts.
Last year over 20% of U.S. production went to China, with a cash value of over $140 million, according to Southern US Trade Association.
The Chines market has given US growers a new market utlet - previously the bulk f their supply had been sod to domestic processors. The Chinese want them in the shell, a premium product that attracts a premium price.
However, this new found market has raised the price also for the US and European consumer who who have to compete for market share now.
Already some US food companies have cut back on their purchase of pecans and began to seek out substitutes.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-10-22 Ready-to-eat roasted chestnuts
- 2020-10-19 "With the 100% Sweet Almond certification, we guarantee bitter almond-free marketing"
- 2020-10-13 Udhampur district fruit and nut growers ask for financial aid
- 2020-10-13 “Beware of 'old' dates being offered at dumping prices”
- 2020-10-12 Chinese farmers are into Australian nuts
- 2020-10-12 Tunisian Ministry of Trade implements measures to market dates
- 2020-10-09 Wonderful® Pistachios to launch two new No Shell flavors in Spring 2021
- 2020-10-08 “French walnut harvest: a qualitative, well-organized and responsible production”
- 2020-10-06 The In Noce project keeps growing and is to reach 500 hectares over the next two years
- 2020-10-02 First reports of grey necrosis on hazelnuts in Chile
- 2020-09-29 Strong demand internationally and domestically for pistachios
- 2020-09-28 Chinese chestnuts enter harvest season
- 2020-09-23 Sri Lankan Minister highlights coconut shortage
- 2020-09-23 Almonds overtake grapes as Kern County's top-grossing crop
- 2020-09-17 California walnut industry doubles down on US retail programs
- 2020-09-17 USDA revises fig import requirements - combating Mediterranean black fig fly
- 2020-09-15 Republic of Georgia exports 2,648 tons of hazelnuts
- 2020-09-11 California almond growers face a price slump
- 2020-09-11 Malaga's FAO protected treasure
- 2020-09-07 Launch of the fresh walnut season