- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
- General Manager - Farming / QLD, Australia
- Sales Manager
- Want to grow your business?
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "We are the first organic citrus company to pack 100% without plastic"
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Biggest problem facing avocado sector in coming years will be supply, not demand
- Trellising in avocado orchards is “pushing the boundaries of production"
- The avocado industry has been going through a "golden era"
Philippines: Pablo destroys 1/4 banana plantations
The Philippine Banana Growers and Exporters Association President, Stephen Antig, said that, whilst analysis was ongoing the damage to the banana industry would likely reach $318 Million US.
He says that 10,000 ha, out of a total national cultivation of 42,000ha, have been destroyed.
The impact of the devastation will be widely felt - in one of the areas hit, the Compostela Valley, around 150,000 people are dependent on the industry for their livelihoods.
Antig says he also fears that the storm will encourage the spread of Fusarium Wilt/Panama Disease in the region.
Recovery, he points out, will be slow - even once replanting has been carried out it will be at least nine month before they are ready for harvesting.
Staff of the Agriculture Secretary, Processo Alcala, report that the Department of Agriculture is now compiling date and looking into ways in which farmers can be provided with assistance.
Source: sbs.com.au; gmanetrok.com
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-10-18 First report of Panama disease in Cavendish bananas caused by Tropical Race 4 in Colombia
- 2019-10-18 Philippines asks Japan to lower tariff on banana export to zero
- 2019-10-18 Banana market recovering with cooler temperatures
- 2019-10-17 ‘More profitable’ bananas make inroads in sugarcane-dominated western UP
- 2019-10-17 Panama: Banana workers secure agreement with supplier Chiquita
- 2019-10-16 The Dominican government intervenes to stop the increase in banana prices
- 2019-10-16 Honduran bananas affected by 14% fall in international prices
- 2019-10-16 Is there a future for European bananas?
- 2019-10-15 First 42 'Fruit and Vegetable Heroes' pick BeFrank
- 2019-10-15 Filipino banana growers want to halt demolition of biosecurity areas
- 2019-10-15 Typhoon Hagibis could boost banana sales in China
- 2019-10-15 Chinese banana plantations bring work to Laos, but pollution as well
- 2019-10-14 EU banana production in 2019 again above 600,000 ton
- 2019-10-14 Banana prices in production areas moderate
- 2019-10-14 Hurricane winds hit 300 hectares of bananas on the coast of Colombia
- 2019-10-11 'Holidays and vacations slowed down the demand almost everywhere'
- 2019-10-11 TR4-tolerant banana cultivar replanted on infected northern Mozambique farm
- 2019-10-11 3,000 containers of bananas in Ecuador can't be shipped due to protests
- 2019-10-11 Europe shows its support for the banana community
- 2019-10-11 Exporter optimistic about prospects of Cambodian banana exports to China