- Sales Manager
- Bedrijfsleider locatie Portugal
- Key Account Manager Horticulture - Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- Operations manager - Berlin area, Germany
- Commercial Manager | Cut Flowers | Kenya
- General Manager (Horticulture Farm) | Kenya
- Floral Designer - Floral Direct. Carle Place, NY (Long Island, USA)
- Tomato Breeder (H/F)
- Junior / Senior Export Manager
- Assistant Cultivation Manager - Capitol Heights (MD) USA
Top 5 -last month
Philippines: Banana group uses diplomacy in China issue
As has been widely reported over the past months, Beijing tightened phytosanitary regulations earlier this year, resulting in a loss of export for the Philippine's banana sector.
PBGEA executive director Stephen A. Antig said he had sought the help of Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Ma Keqing on the matter.
In a letter to the ambassador Antig stated that the Philippines exports to the country were down by as much as 40%.
"It translates to a conservative estimate of $72 million (P3.02 billion) loss in revenues," Antig said in the letter.
Apparently the ambassador had earlier signalled his interest in helping to resolve this issue and wants to organise a meeting.
Antig says that, as yet, he has received no reply, but that he has heard the ambassador is open to discussion.
The PBGEA has also suggested that China sends a team to regularly check on the growing and packing of the bananas.
The association has also been attempting to secure new markets, such as the Middle East and Europe, to make up for lost market share in China.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-08-12 Chinese banana prices stable due to limited supply
- 2020-08-12 In the last four years, Ecuadorian banana spot prices have been substantially higher than contract prices
- 2020-08-11 Lisbon: 375 kilograms of cocaine hidden in banana container seized
- 2020-08-11 Malaysia: FGV clonal research to meet 30% of national banana demand
- 2020-08-11 Iran: Banana imports at $113 million from March to July
- 2020-08-11 Cambodia sees rise of banana plantations
- 2020-08-11 New banana varieties for Tanzanian and Ugandan growers
- 2020-08-10 Dole unveils integrated strategy against banana disease
- 2020-08-10 Mexican banana exports have risen in first half of 2020
- 2020-07-24 “The banana sector of Guadeloupe and Martinique is facing a very severe drought”
- 2020-07-24 “In fact, there is no module of FIPS that we do not use”
- 2020-07-24 Cocaine found in container carrying bananas from Costa Rica
- 2020-07-24 Building of Sh117 million banana market starts in Kenya
- 2020-07-24 Coles investing to support Queensland banana growers
- 2020-07-23 Slow banana sales and affordable prices
- 2020-07-23 "Clear increase in banana sales"
- 2020-07-22 Queensland: Feral pigs are spreading Panama TR4
- 2020-07-22 Banana prices in China fluctuating within normal range
- 2020-07-22 Colombian Banana Growers' Union Calls for Accelerated Testing of COVID-19
- 2020-07-21 Ample bananas keep pricing low