- Account Manager
- Lead IoT Engineer - KAUST near Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Carrefour said to weigh Turkish combination with Migros
The talks are in very early stages and the combination is one of several options Carrefour is exploring for its Turkish operations, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are confidential. Carrefour has not made a decision about its strategy in Turkey, a person said.
The French retailer is reviewing its businesses in countries where it can’t reach a leadership position, as new Chief Executive Officer Georges Plassat seeks to generate cash and reduce debt after four years of declining operating income.
A combination between Carrefour and Sabanci’s joint venture and Migros would create the largest retailer in Turkey. Carrefour’s Turkish unit has a market capitalization of 1.9 billion Turkish lira ($1 billion), while Migros has a market capitalization of 3.3 billion lira.
Carrefour operates its Turkish division through CarrefourSa Carrefour Sabanci Ticaret Merkezi AS (CARFA), which owns 58 percent of a joint venture with Haci Omer Sabanci Holding AS. (SAHOL)
A spokeswoman for BC declined to comment. Officials at Sabanci were not available for comment. A spokesman for Carrefour declined to comment immediately.
Sabanci may attempt to buy Carrefour out of its Turkish business, Erste Bank AG (EBS) analysts wrote in a note this month. The Turkish company hired Rothschild to review its strategic options for the venture and expects to complete a deal this year, CEO Zafer Kurtul said in February.
Right of Refusal
Both Carrefour and Sabanci have the right of first refusal if the other seeks to sell its part of the business, one person with knowledge of the situation said.
BC Partners, a London-based private equity firm, bought a controlling stake in Migros, based in Istanbul, in 2008, in a transaction valuing Migros at 2 billion euros including debt, according to the firm’s website.
Typically, private equity firms such as BC hold assets for three to five years before selling them.
Carrefour, based in the Paris suburb of Boulogne- Billancourt, announced plans in August to exit Singapore by the end of the year and paid 220 million euros ($235 million) to leave Greece. It has also put Poland and Indonesia under review for possible sales.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-22 Amazon is suing EU antitrust regulators
- 2021-01-22 Southeastern Grocers has launched an IPO
- 2021-01-21 Jackson Whole Grocer is being purchased by Whole Foods Market
- 2021-01-21 Migros: Sales rise 4%
- 2021-01-20 Sainsbury's will open its first branch in Qatar
- 2021-01-20 Amazon will open 5 facilities in Quebec
- 2021-01-19 Sprouts Farmers Market: Partnership with MyFitnessPal
- 2021-01-19 Amazon will open two new logistics centres in Italy this year
- 2021-01-18 Couche-Tard and Carrefour to work on partnership opportunities after takeover talks failed
- 2021-01-18 Despite supermarket closures DIA maintains turnover
- 2021-01-15 GrubMarket has completed the acquisition of Bengard Marketing
- 2021-01-15 France’s government says it opposes the proposed takeover of Carrefour by Couche-Tard
- 2021-01-14 Tesco: Buoyant Christmas trading
- 2021-01-14 Canada's only My Health My Choices program guide launched by Metro
- 2021-01-13 Morrisons: The first UK supermarket group to guarantee pay of at least £10 an hour
- 2021-01-13 Couche-Tard is exploring a potential acquisition of Carrefour
- 2021-01-12 Todis expects to report a 13% annual growth in turnover
- 2021-01-12 HelloFresh has opened a new distribution center
- 2021-01-11 Auchan Retail Romania has signed a partnership with foodpanda
- 2021-01-11 Costco generated double-digit net and comparable sales growth in December