- Head Grower - Berries, New Zealand
- Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Africa Fruit Export Sales Manager (Africa Division)
- Fruit Export Junior Sales Manager (Europe Division)
- Horticulture Production Manager
- Farm Manager (Cherries) - BC, Canada
- Lead of Irrigation - Warren, MI USA
- Grower / Head Grower Canada
- Sales agents / representatives
- Tissue Culture Manager - Warren (MI) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Anyone for a stoneless avocado?
- Critical juncture for lemons & grapefruit as soft citrus flies off the shelves
- "Large avocado volumes expected this summer"
- “The temperature contrasts in the mountains help make our blueberries unique”
- Amondel Pakkers revel in their new bespoke high-speed avocado packline
Top 5 -last month
New study shows benefits of lemon juice
The study was carried out by the internationally renowned Mario Negri research institute in Ranica (Bergamo) together with hospitals in Bergamo and will be presented on 3 October 2013 at 9.30am at the institute in the Villa Camozzi, Via Camozzi, 3, Ranica (Bergamo), Italy.
The presentation under the title “The hidden powers of the lemon” is organised in cooperation with the Consorzio di Tutela del Limone di Siracusa IGP. As part of the presentation, the consortium will be explaining the special characteristics of the lemon and its contribution to health.
The aim of the research project was not only to establish what impact the consumption of lemon juice has on the formation of kidney stones but also to establish its influence on known complications such as urinary infections and colics, and whether it leads to a reduced need for hospital treatment and surgery.
Kidney stones are a common condition affecting between 10 and 12 per cent of the population. Without medical treatment the rate of recurrence is very high. In the first year after treatment, 15 to 20 per cent of patients suffer a recurrence of the condition. In the first five years after original treatment, this rate rises to 50 per cent.
Lemons are a natural source of citrate and have the highest concentration of this substance among all types of citrus fruit, as much as five times higher than in an orange. Standard medications for the treatment of kidney stones contain potassium citrate though this can only be prescribed in limited quantities because of side effects. A half cup of pure lemon juice contains the same volume of citrate and provides an effective alternative.
The research project, supported by the Consorzio di Tutela del Limone di Siracusa IGP, aims to provide specific evidence of the positive benefits of using lemon juice in the treatment of kidney stones
Anna K. Schweinsberg
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-05-28 Spanish scientists study the possible use of purple garlic from Las Pedroñeras against COVID-19
- 2020-05-25 Spanish study reveals ‘total absence’ of Corona-virus in supermarket food packaging
- 2020-05-18 Table grapes help build and maintain healthy immune system
- 2020-05-13 Research finds blueberries may improve type 2 diabetes
- 2020-05-07 Measuring body temperature with non-contact forehead thermometers
- 2020-05-05 Ontario greenhouse grower protects employees with SHIELD Program
- 2020-05-01 Strawberries studied for their anti-inflammatory benefits
- 2020-04-29 Does garlic help against acne?
- 2020-04-27 Are carrots good for people with diabetes?
- 2020-04-14 Virus threatens health and jobs of migrant workers in regional Australian communities
- 2020-04-09 Fruit and vegetables as an antidote to asthma
- 2020-03-25 Horticulture supply chain businesses may need to register as an essential service during NZ lockdown
- 2020-03-23 Australian and New Zealand governments strengthen COVID-19 response
- 2020-03-18 "Don’t fear eating your fruits and veggies"
- 2020-03-13 Cal Poly study focuses on women's health ... and strawberries
- 2020-03-10 Researchers study the effectiveness of a component of oranges and mandarins against obesity
- 2020-03-10 A NASA experiment concludes that space lettuces are more nutritious
- 2020-03-09 Daily avocado consumption improves concentration in overweight people
- 2020-03-06 Food is more effective than supplements in fighting the flu
- 2020-03-06 Researchers find ingredient in cruciferous vegetables prevents growth of cancer cells