Rock melon listeria outbreak in Australia
Fourth person dies from contaminated fruit
Victorian health authorities have confirmed that a fourth person has died from listeria contracted from eating contaminated rock melons. The latest death means two people from NSW and two from Victoria have been killed by the outbreak, which was linked to a farm in southern NSW.
This latest listeriosis victim died more than a week ago, but the cause of death was only confirmed on Tuesday. Victoria's deputy chief health officer Dr Brett Sutton: "This latest case has only just been linked to the outbreak as a result of our microbiological testing.”
There are now 17 confirmed cases of listeriosis around the country linked to the contaminated rock melons. Cases have also been reported in Tasmania and Queensland.Abc.net.au
reported how the infection starts with flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, muscle aches, nausea and sometimes diarrhoea. The NSW Food Authority confirmed last week that investigations into the deadly outbreak began in January. The fruit has been pulled from supermarket shelves across the country.
Publication date: 3/7/2018
© 2018 FreshPlaza. All rights reserved.