China: Analysis of the kiwi market in Zhouzhi county
Currently, products of the brand Haiwode don't sell well. The purchase price on the market has dropped by almost 0.6 RMB per kilogram in comparison to the period before the holidays. This is still higher than the purchase price of previous years, influencing the buying behaviour of clients. Only 35% of the Haiwode kiwis have been sold, while the other 65% have not yet been picked and will probably go to storage.
There are two main factors that have impacted the sales:
1. The continuous rainfall during September and October, meant the humidity level of the fruits was huge. If they were to enter storehouses in this condition the mould would reproduce itself very quickly and the fruits would go bad. Storing these fruits carries a lot of risk, so fruit retailers do not feel confident enough to purchase them and hope for better days.
2. The coinciding of the National Holiday and the Mid-Autumn Festival this year caused the economic period during the holidays to be shorter than in previous years. After the holidays sales slowed down rapidly. Although the amount of goods distributed and the amount of goods sold by online retail platforms are growing rapidly, the output of the plantation area in Zhouzhi county (Shaanxi province) has increased enormously and the selling pressure remains huge.
Publication date: 10/20/2017
© 2018 FreshPlaza. All rights reserved.