Job offersmore »
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers.
HORTICULTURE FIELD LAB TECHNICIAN – Competition Number 17-177R
Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s School of Horticulture is seeking applications for a full-time Field Lab Technician to work a flex schedule as indicated below. The position is offered at the Langley Campus and will commence immediately.
- Spring Semester- Jan 1 to April 30: The work days are Wednesday to Saturday and the work hours are on an eight-day flexible schedule, 35 hours per week, 4 days per week.
- Summer Semester-May 1 to August 31: The work days are Wednesday to Saturday and the work hours are on an eight-day flexible schedule, 35 hours per week, 4 days per week.
- Fall Semester- Sept 1 until Dec 30: The schedule will be Tuesday through Saturday, 35 hours per week, 5 days per week.
This position is to provide support and assistance to the Instructional Associates with the delivery of the horticulture programs at the Field Lab, including preparation of materials for lab use, and with the overall maintenance of the facility (including facility and equipment maintenance, stock inventory, and general upkeep of the grounds and crops.)
Maintaining a living lab is a 7 day a week, 12 month a year, responsibility. Although it is anticipated that much of the weekly hours for this position will be spent assisting the Instructional Associate – Production, the position also exists to assist the other Landscape and Turf Management Instructional Associates as needed. The Field Lab Technician is expected to perform his/her assigned or assumed duties with minimal direct supervision, and be cognizant of daily tasks necessary for proper upkeep of the site and its produce.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Post-secondary training in production horticulture, (two year diploma minimum)
- Minimum two years assistant grower experience in greenhouse production. Knowledge, and experience necessary for success in a combination of the following:
- Greenhouse production – vegetables crops preferred
- Greenhouse production – floriculture crops
- Nursery production
- Proficient in either Argus or Priva greenhouse climate control systems.
- Working knowledge of greenhouse operation and maintenance of horticulture equipment and apparatus.
- Working knowledge of all phases of crop production and maintenance, including monitoring and control of greenhouse environment, fertilization and nutrition management, pest management.
- Working knowledge of scouting all plant material for signs of pest/disease presence, water/nutritional needs and assigning proper control/corrective measures for all crops as needed
- Pesticide Applicators Certificate (Nursery and Greenhouse IPM), or successfully obtaining the certificate within 30 days of a job offer.
- Class 5 Drivers License
- Knowledge of WHMIS and safe work procedures for horticulture.
- Must be highly motivated, detail oriented, and have good organization, able to prioritize task and efficiently accomplish goals and objectives with minimum supervision
- Physical requirements include lifting products and materials with a maximum weight of 50 pounds
Please forward your resume, including copies of post-secondary transcripts, quoting competition number 17-177R to: email@example.com
Posting will close when suitable candidate has been chosen
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.