Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- Malaysia: Japanese square watermelons sold in Kuala Lumpur
- Costa Rica: Pineapple producers fear the bonanza is coming to an end
- Extreme temperatures in Europe cause worst vegetable crisis in 40 years
- 'Readycado': Sensor alerts avo lovers when fruit is ready to eat
- European garlic competing with California on freight to East Coast
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Eco Brewing & Growing Technician - UK
Astwood are looking to hire its first Eco Brewing & Growing Technician. We are a start-up facility with a new and exciting brand, Lab Culture. Located in Stratford-Upon-Avon, we have used innovative technology to combine a 6-barrel brewery with a small vertical growing facility that re-use and recycle its waste products.
Lab Culture has three main goals - to produce great beer, quality crops and build a circular economy process. The vertical production facility grows crops in a vertically-stacked system using LED lighting. The facility then recycles waste from the growing facility to reduce the energy usage for running the brewery. The brewery and taproom will provide a unique atmosphere, also offering facility tours and beer tasting. The Brewery is a 6barrel, Premier Stainless brew house with 12-barrel fermenters and bright tanks. It is built for large scale distribution but will also focus on the sales out of the taproom. We will initially offer 3 beers with several creative seasonal beers.
Lab Culture have exciting expansion plans, along with using innovative engineering to develop other processes. This position offers an exciting and varied role with growth opportunities, as well as comprehensive training for the brewery and vertical facility.
- Ideally educated to Graduate Level/have completed an apprenticeship in a related business area.
- Useful subjects include maths, English, sciences, practical technology, engineering subjects, horticulture, health and food technologies.
- Entrants with professional qualifications set by the Institute of Brewing & Distilling (IBD) are also advantageous.
- Any additional qualifications that demonstrate hygiene, health and safety knowledge and practical skills are advantageous.
- Interest in the brewing process and horticulture/greenhouse growing is essential.
- Ability to concentrate and perform tasks accurately
- Ability to follow instructions and work hard
- Ability to work independently, as well as with others
- Ability to multi-task
- Hands-on practical and technical skills
- Good understanding of quality assurance/quality control and Health & Safety
- You will be assisting the Head of Eco Brewing to create specialist craft beers, and often experimenting with different flavours and methods of brewing. You would:
- Get equipment ready for brewing
- Prepare, weigh and mix ingredients
- Keep records of ingredients
- Monitor the temperature and quality of the beer as it brews
- Wash and clean brewing containers and the work area
- Sterilise equipment
- When the brewing process is complete you would fill the clean kegs, casks, bottles or cans and label them correctly.
- You may also be involved in deliveries to local customers, and there may be occasional participation in events, festivals, promotions, etc.
- Potting, sowing, harvesting and packing
- Growth monitoring and pest management (Biological pest control)
- Mixing nutrient solutions and monitoring pH and EC
- Keeping the working equipment clean (for example washing the gutters)
- Changing the filter
- You may be asked to help the Head of Eco Brewing with procurement of materials (seeds, substrates, fertilizer) or with problem-solving in the case of failures in irrigation pumps or climate controls.
Competitive salary based upon previous education and work experience. Company mobile phone and laptop will be provided. Comprehensive vertical growing facility and brew equipment training provided.
Hours of Work:
Full-time, permanent role. Usual core hours range between 7am-6pm Monday-Friday, with some flexibility. Some additional hours required on a weekend (based on a shift pattern).
Send your CV, a couple paragraphs about yourself, and two references to:
Application Closing Date: Wednesday 6th December