Job offersmore »
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
Top 5 - yesterday
- "Greenhouses involve a great investment, but yield good results"
- Argentina: Mendoza shipments to Brazil are delayed by the crisis
- Andres Ribas, Vientosur: “A good citrus import-season expected in Europe”
- “We use sustainable development goals and are producing healthy food”
- Edible ink allows invisible label printing on fruit
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Stonefruit helps with weight lossNew research from Texas A & M AgriLife found that stone fruits, particularly peaches, plums and nectarines, can potentially help to fight diabetes and cardiovascular disease, both of which are associated with obesity.
Fruits and vegetables for weight loss
Dr. Luis Cisneros-Zevallos states that the compounds that are found in these stone fruits could help to combat metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a condition in which obesity and inflammation lead to a multitude of other serious health conditions.
He states that stone fruits contain phenolic compounds that have anti-obesity, anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties and may also reduce the oxidation of bad cholesterol (LDL) which is associated with cardiovascular disease.
He states that these fruits are unique because the mixture of the bioactive compounds in the fruit works at the same time within different components of the disease – including obesity, inflammation, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
The stone fruits studied in the current research all contain a minimal amount of calories and are considered healthy food options. A plum contains about 30 calories. In addition to having minimal calories, plums also contain calcium, potassium, copper, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K. All of these additional components make it a nutritious, healthy food.
Another healthy food that this study mentions is a peach. A medium sized peach contains about 58 calories as well as calcium, niacin, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, vitamin C and vitamin A.
A medium sized nectarine contains approximately 62 calories as well as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin K. In general, fruits and vegetables contain modest amounts of calories and can be consumed regularly as part of a healthy diet.
Funding for the studies of health benefits of stone fruit are funded by the California Tree Fruit Agreement, The California Plum Board, the California Grape and Tree Fruit League and the Texas Department of Agriculture.
Publication date: 7/23/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: