Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Stonefruit helps with weight lossNew research from Texas A & M AgriLife found that stone fruits, particularly peaches, plums and nectarines, can potentially help to fight diabetes and cardiovascular disease, both of which are associated with obesity.
Fruits and vegetables for weight loss
Dr. Luis Cisneros-Zevallos states that the compounds that are found in these stone fruits could help to combat metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a condition in which obesity and inflammation lead to a multitude of other serious health conditions.
He states that stone fruits contain phenolic compounds that have anti-obesity, anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties and may also reduce the oxidation of bad cholesterol (LDL) which is associated with cardiovascular disease.
He states that these fruits are unique because the mixture of the bioactive compounds in the fruit works at the same time within different components of the disease – including obesity, inflammation, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
The stone fruits studied in the current research all contain a minimal amount of calories and are considered healthy food options. A plum contains about 30 calories. In addition to having minimal calories, plums also contain calcium, potassium, copper, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K. All of these additional components make it a nutritious, healthy food.
Another healthy food that this study mentions is a peach. A medium sized peach contains about 58 calories as well as calcium, niacin, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, vitamin C and vitamin A.
A medium sized nectarine contains approximately 62 calories as well as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin K. In general, fruits and vegetables contain modest amounts of calories and can be consumed regularly as part of a healthy diet.
Funding for the studies of health benefits of stone fruit are funded by the California Tree Fruit Agreement, The California Plum Board, the California Grape and Tree Fruit League and the Texas Department of Agriculture.
Publication date: 7/23/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: