Job offersmore »
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
- Horticultural Consultant - Sydney, Australia
- Technical Assistant - East Malling (Kent), UK
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Germany: Supply of early potatoes is increasingIn the German regions, where early potatoes were traditionally grown, the harvest has started. The current weather conditions promise a good growth in the coming weeks, according to the Deutsche Bauernverband (DBV). At the same time the, often dry, weather is causing high costs for water care in many places.
The week markets have increasingly extended their supply of early potatoes. In June the amounts will increase, which means the food trade will probably switch to German early potatoes. According to recent estimates by the German Central Bureau for Statistics the growing area for the harvest of 2012 is around 253,000 hectares. This means the cultivation area has decreased by 2 percent compared to last year.
Growers and traders from other regions in Europe have now also started exporting to Germany. According to estimates by market experts the amounts will remain within the limits. The arrival of Spanish wares has been temporarily delayed. This has to do with the cool weather conditions in Spain at the moment.
Publication date: 6/8/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: