Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Philippines planning packing facilities upgradeThe agriculture department is planning to upgrade fruit packing facilities to ensure that exports are of good quality.
Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala said the department is consulting with exporters to ascertain which facilities required investment.
"It looks like the contamination (of exports) is coming from the packaging of small exporters so the best solution is for us to help them," he said.
He said the department would be paying the costs for the upgrades and would allot P450,000 to P500,000 ($10,345-$11,494 US).
There are indications that Malacañang has also approved an additional P50 million for the project. The additional budget would come from the President’s Social Fund.
Alcala said that, in addition to the upgrades, the department is also more thoroughly checking exports before sending them overseas.
The department is also understood to be considering agreements with Cambodia, Singapore and Japan for fruit shipments. They are considered to be ideal markets as they are close enough to the Philippines to be viable.
Publication date: 6/4/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: