Job offersmore »
- Production Manager Pepper - Nunhem, the Netherlands
- Greenhouse Grower - Chicago, IL
- Product Specialist Zaailingen - Hendrik Ido Ambacht, the Netherlands
- Sales-Manager Scherming - the Netherlands
- Senior Grower - Australia
- Australia: Supply Chain Co-ordinator/QC Officer
- Marketing and Sales Manager - U.S.A. and Canada
- Sales Representative, Horticulture - Delta, BC - Canada
- Commerciële verkoopcoördinator bloemenkwekers - Aalsmeer/Naaldwijk
- Account Manager Propagation - Roermond, The Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Total Exotics launches new consumer-focused packaging
- How fruits and vegetables have changed in the last 60 years
- Dubai Chamber and Pro Ecuador help cement trade relations
- For California farmers, relentless drought spells financial disaster
- Mexico: Berries sector will grow dramatically thanks to China
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Agrostar making a difference in difficult Egyptian grape season
"The historically cold and long Egyptian winter takes its toll up to now, whilst here it is the middle of summer. The Egyptian grape season has difficulty starting as a result of the lack of sugar development (taste) of the grapes. Harvest data are updated all the time and just about every day harvest prognoses are adjusted downwards. Harvesting without a refractometer (measure of sugar content) is irresponsible because of the differences in taste between the field and the bunch are very large.The harvest management is subject to the very highest demands. Together with Marcel Schreinemachers Hans Korsten last week-end presented the new Frankort & Koning project Agrostar. For years already the 'grape mad' Mokhless Harraz (owner of Agrostar farms) supplied to a few well-known export companies in Egypt.
Grape mad Mokhless
Because of the increase in his production Mokhless wanted to export himself and he and Frankort & Koning quickly agreed about the introduction of the Agrostar project. "Each year we see this enormous tsunami of Egyptian grapes (more than 80,000 tons) arriving and it is, except the product of some well-known companies, very difficult for many buyers to make the right decision about quality. With the introduction of the hallmark Agrostar we want to assist in making the right decision.
Mokhless playing Champions League
Radiation, consistency of high quality without compromise, completely own cultivation and as a result the highest possible in the area of food safety are the starting points, which are to lead to recognition in the market. "The fact that Hans will be here permanently to start it all is of course of enormous help" Marcel Schreinemacher says.
Marcel is responsible for the marketing of the grapes and is optimistic about the season. "The present delays will possibly be followed by a short but strong season, in which 'making a difference' will be of extra importance. We are still in the early varieties (Prime under export licence), because we cannot at the moment touch the Sugraone because of the low sugar content, but also the high degree of acid (it is now 30th of May).
Marcel and Hans with their Agrostar project
This week-end Frankort will receive the first product from the Agrostar project by sea-going container.
For more information:
Frankort & Koning BV
+31 77 3897277
+31 6 51185487
Publication date: 6/1/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: