Job offersmore »
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
- General Manager Latin America - Mexico
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: banana growers forced to clear upThe banana industry in North Queensland has welcomed a pledge by the state government, to force growers who have experienced disease outbreaks to clean up.
This has resulted from an increase in cases of yellow sigatoka after which, some farmers claim, not everyone is cleaning up enough to prevent the spread.
The new Agriculture Minister John McVeigh says Biosecurity Queensland will now enforce regulations to make sure those clean-ups occur.
The President of the Cassowary Coast Banana Growers, Robert Mayers says he hopes it will prevent further outbreaks.
"There's only been a couple and one could understand it with prices being low and trying to do everything on a farm with low prices but most growers are managing to look after their farms well enough to keep yellow sigatoka out but some are having a struggle," he said.
Publication date: 5/31/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: