Job offersmore »
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
- Floriculture Sales and Marketing Professional
Top 5 - yesterday
- China: First ever large-scale domestic production of avocados to enter market in September
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Criminals hack email of shipper for Dutch importer
- Conflicting reports about Russia importing Turkish tomatoes
- AU import restrictions on certain goods to change this month
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: Potato growers praises WoolworthsA potato merchant from Victoria's West Gippsland is publicly thanking Woolworths for its support of the region's spud growers.
Mike Durkin, from Durkin Produce at Thorpdale, says the supermarket paid growers twice the price that its competitors were offering.
A huge oversupply of potatoes nationally and poor retail market prices have driven the price of potatoes down this year.
But Mr Durkin says a fixed price contract with Woolworths saved the growers he deals with.
"Without a doubt. They entered into a fixed price in May of last year for five major lines, potatoes being one of them. And to their credit they have backed us 100 per cent," he said.
"Unfortunately, I can't say that for their competitors. Their competitors were paying half the price that Woolworths were."
Publication date: 5/25/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: