Job offersmore »
- Junior Buyer / Seller - Spain
- Product Manager - Netherlands
- Technical Support Specialist - USA
- Manager Product Development - UK
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Graduate Grower - Tomatoes - Australia
- Crop advisor - Canada
- Horticultural and Hydroponic Sales Specialist - Western Canada
- Greenhouse Manager Tomato and Strawberry - Azerbaijan
- Algemeen Directeur
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: Potato growers praises WoolworthsA potato merchant from Victoria's West Gippsland is publicly thanking Woolworths for its support of the region's spud growers.
Mike Durkin, from Durkin Produce at Thorpdale, says the supermarket paid growers twice the price that its competitors were offering.
A huge oversupply of potatoes nationally and poor retail market prices have driven the price of potatoes down this year.
But Mr Durkin says a fixed price contract with Woolworths saved the growers he deals with.
"Without a doubt. They entered into a fixed price in May of last year for five major lines, potatoes being one of them. And to their credit they have backed us 100 per cent," he said.
"Unfortunately, I can't say that for their competitors. Their competitors were paying half the price that Woolworths were."
Publication date: 5/25/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: