Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
- Product manager for growing media - Finland or Estonia
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
A bad start for the Peruvian Hass avocado campaign in EuropeThe beginning of the Peruvian campaign of avocado Hass export to Europe didn't start the best way, due to the small price offered for this product there.
Regarding this, the general manager of the Association of Avocado Hass Producers and Exporters in Peru (PROHASS), Arturo Medina, pointed out that this reduction is mainly due to the big volumes of avocado from South Africa that, like Peru, is starting the campaign.
"Where there is over offer prices tend to drop quickly, it's about offer and demand. The price of avocado is moving a lot in the European market, that is presently at 7Euro per 4kilos box".
Even so, he pointed that there's much demand for the national avocado, but the it's "very hard" to raise prices and there's no way to project when it will raise or where it will go.
Market's demand, insurances
On the other hand, the general manager for PROHASS, manifested that this year were exported 82,000 tons of Hass avocado and it's calculated that 60% of the product is destined to Europe and 40% to the United States.
"Usually we grow between 20% to 25% per year. This is why we grow yearly an average of 1,500 hectares on the avocado cultivation. We expected it to happen the same in 2013".
In 2011, were exported 81,000 tons, generating US$164 millions. While in 2010 were exported 60,000 tons, generating US$85 millions.
Publication date: 5/25/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: