Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: COAG Almeria asks consumers to not buy at DIA supermarketsThe agricultural organization COAG-Almeria considers it to be "really cheeky" that supermarkets like DIA are selling melons "piel de sapo" coming from Senegal, as it shows on the tags. Because of it, COAG Almeria is calling up consumers "to not buy at DIA as they are betraying farmers in the province. Don't they feel ashamed for selling melon coming from Senegal right in the middle of a harvesting campaign? This people forgets that farmers live manly from this sector".
History repeats itself
The complaint and claim by COAG-Almeria regarding discounts on fruit and vegetables from third party countries during a campaign is history repeating itself, year after year.
"If consumers have some conscience they will not buy at DIA until the supermarket changes its sales policy: first care about what's coming from this country and then, if there's not enough, it's logical that products are acquired in other countries. There's no reason for this disloyal practice. We will not get tired of denouncing these kind of practices until we can have consumers on our side and give respect to our sector".
COAG-Almeria confirms that the price tag on the shelves says it comes from Brazil, but the tag in the fruit itself shows Senegal as origin. "Again we are confusing consumers with not unclear tagging. The Administration must be serious in controlling and sanctioning these kind of practices", concluded the note from COAG-Almeria.
Source: COAG Almería
Publication date: 5/23/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: