Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
EU: Total Cherry optimistic about new seasonJon Clark, Director at Total Cherry is quietly optimistic about the coming cherry season despite the slow start. At the moment its 10 days behind schedule due to continued drops in temperature in Spain and other producing countries.
Spain, Italy and Bulgaria are now getting underway with small volumes of fruit. Clark says a slow start to the season is not necessarily a bad thing, many growers believe a slow growing process improves sugars and cell structure in the cherries.
Volumes may be down on last year in most producing countries, around 80% of last year. Recent storms in France, Greece and rain in Spain also caused a bit of damage.
The UK crop has had a good fruit set but according to Clark there could be a bigger drop off this year, and of course the season will be a little later by around 10-14 days.
The Washington cherry season is larger and earlier this season so it will overlap a little more with the European this year, with air-freight through July and sea-freight through August & September.
For more information:
Tel: +44 1775 717180
Mob: +44 7525 668880
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: