Job offersmore »
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
- US Romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak quite relentless
- A challenging new citrus import season from southern hemisphere
- Busy first day of CPMA show in sunny Vancouver
- NZ: Spraying without chemicals, residues or health and safety issues
- "Rumours causing importers to switch from Chinese to Spanish garlic"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Sainsbury's stocking 100% UK asparagusFrom today (18th May), Sainsbury’s will be stocking 100% British asparagus. Due to adverse weather the start of the season comes six weeks later than last year; however the slow growing season has resulted in a better quality crop. The new crop is spread from fields across Herefordshire and Norfolk down to Kent and West Sussex to work around varied weather conditions.
Julien Roberts, Sainsbury's asparagus buyer says: "We're pleased to announce that customers will see deliveries of 100% British grown asparagus in stores from today. It's been a tough growing season for our farmers - despite the delay we anticipate this crop to be even better quality than usual as it's grown slower than usual.
As we've seen such varied weather this spring and supply has been slow, I'd encourage customers to take advantage of the season while it lasts."
British asparagus will be available in Sainsbury's stores from Friday 18 May priced £1.50 for a 250g bundle.
Publication date: 5/18/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: