Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
- “Asian vegetables are no longer a niche product”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Sainsbury's stocking 100% UK asparagusFrom today (18th May), Sainsbury’s will be stocking 100% British asparagus. Due to adverse weather the start of the season comes six weeks later than last year; however the slow growing season has resulted in a better quality crop. The new crop is spread from fields across Herefordshire and Norfolk down to Kent and West Sussex to work around varied weather conditions.
Julien Roberts, Sainsbury's asparagus buyer says: "We're pleased to announce that customers will see deliveries of 100% British grown asparagus in stores from today. It's been a tough growing season for our farmers - despite the delay we anticipate this crop to be even better quality than usual as it's grown slower than usual.
As we've seen such varied weather this spring and supply has been slow, I'd encourage customers to take advantage of the season while it lasts."
British asparagus will be available in Sainsbury's stores from Friday 18 May priced £1.50 for a 250g bundle.
Publication date: 5/18/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: