Job offersmore »
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
- Eco Brewing & Growing Technician - UK
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Malta: Wholesale fruit and veg value increasesThe volume of fresh fruit and vegetables has decreased by 16% in the first quarter, with a resultant rise in value of 9.3%, as compared to last year, according to the national Statistics Office.
The volume supplied dropped from 10 million kgs, to 8.4 kgs in this period, whilst the value rose from 5.2 million Euro to 5.7 million Euro.
The volume of fresh vegetables fell by 15.3 per cent to 8 million kilogrammes over the comparative period last year.
Declines were registered in the supply of cauliflowers (-27.8 per cent), marrows (-22 per cent), potatoes (-13.9 per cent), dry onions (-33.5 per cent) and lettuce (-30 per cent).
In the same period the supply of fresh fruit declined by 28 per cent, mainly due to a drop in the supply of oranges (-34.2 per cent), sweet oranges (-29.3 per cent) and strawberries (-28 per cent).
Furthermore, the wholesale value of fresh fruit decreased by 16 per cent, to €0.6 million.
Maltese farmers supplied 7.8 million kilogrammes of fresh fruit and vegetables, equal to 92.2 per cent of the total supply. The remainder of the supply came from Gozitan production.
Publication date: 5/18/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: