Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Peru could become world's biggest fruit and veg exporterAccording to the Peruvian Ministry of Foreign Trade and Tourism, the country is set to become the world's largest exporter of fruits and vegetables.
The value of such exports rose dramatically over the past ten years, from US$101 million in 2000 to US$1.12 billion last year - an average increase of 27% per annum.
The Trade and Tourism Minister Jose Luis Silva said that the number of markets the country was exporting to had more than doubled over the period and was now running at 130.
"We have grown 11 times in the past 11 years and doubled the number of target markets. If we maintain this rate, Peru will become the world's largest exporter of fruits and vegetables," he stated.
he attributed the growth to the signing of free trader agreements, political stability and a growth in global food demand.
"All these have turned Peru into a major player in this industry, with key strengths such as its biodiversity and the development of an efficient and modern agro-industry," he added.
The minister went on to note that thanks to increased exports and the quality of its products, Peru will be a guest of honour at next year's Fruit Logistica in Germany, the leading international meeting place of the fresh produce trade.
"Being the Guest of Honour at Fruit Logistica means attracting more buyers and investors in the sector, as well as further promoting business trips to Peru and giving a boost to export-oriented production," Silva said.
Publication date: 5/16/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: