Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- Eden Agri Citrus: black farmers assume majority share-holding in packhouse
- Canadian growers shake their heads at talk of boycotting US goods
- First ever red sweet onions out of Walla Walla
- German specialist extending shelf life without preservatives
- New Zealand: Exclusive avocado access to Australia under threat
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: New strawberry varietiesGreat success for participants at the open day for early strawberries cultivated in greenhouses, which was organized on 9th May 2012 in Cesena (Italy).
The meeting was aimed at introducing the first results of new strawberry varieties which have been evaluated within the context of the project MiPAAF “Strawberry variety lists” and selection of advanced phase of the study obtained by Italian activities of public and private breeding, such as the project “Top Quality Strawberry” in Emilia-Romagna region.
An exhibition showing several samples of fruits coming from not only from Cesena but also from other parts of Italy (Verona and Scanzano Jonico) was really interesting for the operators.
Walther Faedi, in the middle, is welcoming the participants of the event.
Sales managers of Apofruit Italia, Agrintesa, Orogel Fresco from Cesena and Apo Scaligera from Verona analyzed the strawberry situation in 2012 underlining trading difficulties: strong competition of the Spanish product both in the Italian and foreign markets. Producers need to sell high quality products with well-known and appreciated brands in order to supply demands for longer and longer periods.
Walther Faedi raised the problem of fraudulent actions recorded in the Italian market where Spanish strawberries are passed off as Italian ones. This leads to the confusion of consumers and consequently damages Italian product.
Lutz Schneider, a German guest, was asked about the situation of strawberry cultivation in Germany where they are getting interested in Italian cultivars such as 'Clery' (in the picture below) and mainly 'Asia'. Schneider underlined damage suffered by German strawberry beds due to the winter frost and the recent spring cold weather.
Breeders of CIV (Ferrara) and New Fruits (Cesena) described new varieties:
- Joly, Dely, Rania, Nabila, Capri, Ischia and Linosa (CIV);
- Alina, Thelma, Louise, sel. NF 111 R (New Fruits).
Afterwards, agronomic and qualitative features of the best variety fruits included in the list were described, above all those ones which are suitable for Romagna area. Speakers also discussed strengths and weaknesses of some selections obtained by public-private breeding in Cesena (FC15, FC30 and FC 32) and in Verona (VR2 and VR4). Particular attention was given to VR2 that is spreading and being patented in the European Union as Garda (in the picture above).
The best varieties were Asia, Clery, Dely (also aromatic), Nora and Pircinque. VR177 was very interesting because of its big fruits having a strong aroma and a smell typical of wild strawberries. The aroma is getting more and more importance among private and public breeders.
The promoters of the event are going to meet again at the end of the month in Cesena in order to show the behavior of medium-late varieties in open field.
For more information:
CRA-FRF di Forlì
Publication date: 5/16/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: