Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Chile exhibited its fruit export offer in London
- TOMRA launches new food sorter user interface to improve work flow
- Maersk Line papaya shipment opens India to new markets
- Matthew Brigotti joins Idaho Potato Commission as Foodservice Promotion Director
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
prices are a lot lower than last year
France: Higher top fruit supply than in 2011The supply of apples and pears turned out to be higher at the end of March 2012 than last year, says the ministry of agriculture. The apple production in 2011 was 5% higher than in 2010. The harvest started early last season. At the end of June, two weeks earlier than usual, the first apples were picked in the Provence. In August more was exported than sold on the domestic market. The number of varieties were extended in September, while the sales on the European market decreased. The prices were 13% lower than the five-year average. The price for the Golden dropped at the end of the season by 18% and the Gala by 4%. Viewing the whole year the price balance was positive. October and November were marked by an active export market. The prices improved in November but were still 4% lower than the five-year average. In December the export was 30% higher than in December 2010. In January the demand from the home market increased too. From February on the prices were more stable due to an increasing supply from the European market, but in March it was still 3% under the five-year average. The decrease of the apples was lower in March 2012 than in March 2011.
The supply of pears was 35% higher than last year, since March, but was the same as in 2010. The pear production in 2011 was 12% higher than in 2010. According to Prognosfruits the European production in 2011 grew by 11% compared to 2010 and 5% compared to the five-year average.
The harvest in 2011 started earlier than usual. The market is dominated by summer fruits at that moment, which didn't sell easily. In July the price index was 15% lower than the five year average. In August many parties went for processing. In September there was a heightened competition between Belgium and Holland. The sales in the home market aren't very dynamic, because it's still summer weather. The price was 17% lower than the five-year average. In October there was less competition with Holland. The price for the variety Conference will improve due to this, but is still 8% lower than the five year average. Since November 2011 the prices have been weak. In March 2012 the price was 17% less than the average of the past year.
Publication date: 5/15/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: