Job offersmore »
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
USDA to widen farmer's market accessThe USDA is trying to make farmer's markets more accessible to consumers who do not have the means to pay by cash, which is so often a required feature of the markets.
Agriculture Deputy Secretary Kathleen Merrigan this week announced a $4 million grant for states to help implement wireless technology that will allow more farmers markets to accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, or food stamps.
Markets need wireless Internet or land-line connections in order to accept payments from customers using government benefits, a system known as Electronic Benefits Transfer.
Small markets can not always afford such technology themselves.
it is feared that those unable to pay by cash are missing out on healthy food, at reasonable costs. Health experts say a lack of affordable healthy food in low-income communities is directly related to high obesity levels.
"The retail food environment is not the same in every neighborhood," Brian Smedley of the Health Policy Institute at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies said last week at a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention obesity summit.
Publication date: 5/14/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: