Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- Deluge causes millions of dollars in crop damage in Queensland
- Washington now ranks No.1 in America for blueberry production
- Dollar shortage, not promotion of local industry, behind Zimbabwe ban decision
- Indian grape sector in Nashik hit by rainfall
- World record breaking carrot weighs in at 23 pounds
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- Tanimura & Antle launches Artisan Dew Drop cabbage
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
Exchange ratesmore »
Tesco to sell Thanet Earth tomatoes
UK: Tesco toms stay fresher for longer as retailer wins race for It’sFresh!Tesco tomatoes will now stay fresher for longer following the roll-out of It’sFresh! in all stores from May 13. Tesco is the first UK retailer to use It’sFresh! on tomatoes, with Tesco Finest tomatoes being the first to benefit, and many other tomato varieties to follow in due course.
The roll-out follows successful trials on UK Sunstream tomato varieties from innovative greenhouse growers Thanet Earth, and a commercial depot pilot with Tesco during February and March this year.
According to Robert James, Technical Manager at Thanet Earth: "We’re delighted to have been chosen as the first European grower to pilot It’sFresh! on tomatoes with Tesco. Our trials have shown it consistently extends product life, even with UK-grown varieties. By keeping our produce fresher for longer, It’sFresh! reduces waste and enhances quality, giving consumers the confidence to buy and eat more—which is good news for everyone in the supply chain."
Results showed that Tesco can now offer a 'freshness guarantee' of two extra days, simply by adding It’sFresh! to the existing retail packaging. New on-pack graphics will spell out to shoppers that Finest tomatoes now stay fresher for longer. In practical terms, It’sFresh! will both reduce waste, and increase sales by improving the purchase and consumption experience for consumers.
Steve Deeble, Technical Manager at Tesco, comments: "People love the rich flavour of vine-ripened tomatoes and now, thanks to It’sFresh!, Tesco customers will be the first to savour a longer-lasting premium eating experience with our Finest varieties. It’sFresh! has the proven ability to reduce waste and extend shelf life, and is changing the game for the whole of the fresh produce industry."
Simon Lee, Director of It’sFresh!, adds: "The results of the trials speak for themselves. We’re delighted that Tesco has moved so decisively to be first in the market with tomatoes. It’s also been a pleasure to work with Thanet Earth; like It’sFresh! they’re not afraid to embrace innovation to ensure that consumers get to enjoy top-quality fresh produce at home for longer"
For more information:
Tel: +44 (0) 7770 934 005
Telephone or email )
Publication date: 5/11/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: