Job offersmore »
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
Top 5 - yesterday
- South Africa: "Farming with grapes is a sprint, citrus is a marathon."
- Photos reveal Del Monte's new pink pineapple
- Colombia: Chiquita accused of crimes against humanity
- Greek producers are great trading partners for Poland
- "The PGI will strengthen our expansion project for Canary bananas in Europe"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Canada: Tree fruit growers to get government fundingTree fruit growers in Nova Scotia are to receive government help in the development of a new growth strategy.
"This funding will help us find ways to keep our industry strong and competitive," Dela Erith, executive director of the Nova Scotia Fruit Growers’ Association.
The government is providing the industry with funding worth $47,500. In addition to this the provincial authorities are putting in a further $20,000.
"We want to know that growth with certain volumes will bring profitability with certain products in certain markets," said Erith.
She said the strategy would cover apples, pears, plums, peaches and cherries, but said that it would focus overwhelming on the apple industry as that is Nova Scotia's chief fruit export and 10% of the national production.
Tree fruit in general generates $14 million annually to producers and contributes about $70 million annually to the provincial economy.
West Nova MP Greg Kerr, who announced the federal funding Wednesday, said the tree fruit industry is an important sector of the provincial economy.
"Our support for the Nova Scotia Fruit Growers’ Association will help the creation of jobs throughout the value chain, the stimulation of investment and export opportunities, and the establishment of a sustainable business environment that encourages continued innovation and growth."
Publication date: 5/10/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: