Job offersmore »
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (WA): Abundance of cherries for 4th July this yearWarm weather is good news for cherry growers. Last year's cherries were delayed by cold weather and there was a shortage for the 4th July - typically the most important part of the year for sales.
The Washington State Fruit Commission says the sudden temperature increase recently started the cherries growing. They anticipate four million boxes by the end of next month - double what was achieved at the same time last year.
"We're hoping that this kind of weather that we have today that's really quite nice here in the valley just kinda holds out throughout the season. That would be perfect," says Fruit Commission President B.J. Thurlby.
The commission predicts that harvest across the region will be staggered enabling a constant stream of fruit throughout the Summer months.
Publication date: 5/8/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: