Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: Potato growers call for more government helpSouth Australian potato growers say the regional government has refused their calls for assistance, despite the challenges they have been through of late, and despite the fact that their industry represents a sizeable portion of the local economy.
The growers are under pressure as prices fall imports floods the market. Potatoes are South Australia's biggest vegetable crop, contributing more than $400 million to the economy.
Andrew Widdison from the South-East Potato Growers Association said the SA Government appeared unaware of the industry's plight.
"They (Government) actually don't want to spend money on agriculture, but they still need agriculture."
Mike Redmond from Grow SA said it was a similar story for other horticultural industries.
"There's quite a hole in the expertise the Government offers the industry," he said.
"There are some real anomalies in these fee structures too on things like land tax."
Mr Redmond called for a review of fees and charges.
Publication date: 5/8/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: