Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
- “Asian vegetables are no longer a niche product”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: Potato growers call for more government helpSouth Australian potato growers say the regional government has refused their calls for assistance, despite the challenges they have been through of late, and despite the fact that their industry represents a sizeable portion of the local economy.
The growers are under pressure as prices fall imports floods the market. Potatoes are South Australia's biggest vegetable crop, contributing more than $400 million to the economy.
Andrew Widdison from the South-East Potato Growers Association said the SA Government appeared unaware of the industry's plight.
"They (Government) actually don't want to spend money on agriculture, but they still need agriculture."
Mike Redmond from Grow SA said it was a similar story for other horticultural industries.
"There's quite a hole in the expertise the Government offers the industry," he said.
"There are some real anomalies in these fee structures too on things like land tax."
Mr Redmond called for a review of fees and charges.
Publication date: 5/8/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: