Job offersmore »
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
- Australia: NSW melon farm speaks out on listeria outbreak
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL SWEET POTATO MARKET
- California's heavy rain highlights benefits of hydroponic strawberries
- Corona branded limes to be available in the Beer & Liquor aisle
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: Potato growers call for more government helpSouth Australian potato growers say the regional government has refused their calls for assistance, despite the challenges they have been through of late, and despite the fact that their industry represents a sizeable portion of the local economy.
The growers are under pressure as prices fall imports floods the market. Potatoes are South Australia's biggest vegetable crop, contributing more than $400 million to the economy.
Andrew Widdison from the South-East Potato Growers Association said the SA Government appeared unaware of the industry's plight.
"They (Government) actually don't want to spend money on agriculture, but they still need agriculture."
Mike Redmond from Grow SA said it was a similar story for other horticultural industries.
"There's quite a hole in the expertise the Government offers the industry," he said.
"There are some real anomalies in these fee structures too on things like land tax."
Mr Redmond called for a review of fees and charges.
Publication date: 5/8/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: