Job offersmore »
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
- US Romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak quite relentless
- A challenging new citrus import season from southern hemisphere
- NZ: Spraying without chemicals, residues or health and safety issues
- Busy first day of CPMA show in sunny Vancouver
- "Rumours causing importers to switch from Chinese to Spanish garlic"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
India: 18% of fruit and vegetables wasted18% of fruits and vegetables from India are going to waste for want of adequate cold chain facilities. The amount of food wasted is worth Rs 44,000 crore.
"These were the findings of a study conducted by the Central Institute for Post Harvest Engineering & Technology, Ludhiana (published in 2010)," minister of state for food processing industries Charan Das Mahant said.
He said the government had identified the cold chain situation as one requiring considerable investment and had been cited as such by the Prime Minister.
The government is offering part funding for cold chain projects already. Other government agencies like the National Horticulture Mission (NHM), National Horticulture Board (NHB), Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) and the state governments also provide assistance for cold storages under their respective schemes, he informed the house.
Publication date: 5/10/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: