Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- Eden Agri Citrus: black farmers assume majority share-holding in packhouse
- Canadian growers shake their heads at talk of boycotting US goods
- First ever red sweet onions out of Walla Walla
- German specialist extending shelf life without preservatives
- New Zealand: Exclusive avocado access to Australia under threat
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
India: 18% of fruit and vegetables wasted18% of fruits and vegetables from India are going to waste for want of adequate cold chain facilities. The amount of food wasted is worth Rs 44,000 crore.
"These were the findings of a study conducted by the Central Institute for Post Harvest Engineering & Technology, Ludhiana (published in 2010)," minister of state for food processing industries Charan Das Mahant said.
He said the government had identified the cold chain situation as one requiring considerable investment and had been cited as such by the Prime Minister.
The government is offering part funding for cold chain projects already. Other government agencies like the National Horticulture Mission (NHM), National Horticulture Board (NHB), Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) and the state governments also provide assistance for cold storages under their respective schemes, he informed the house.
Publication date: 5/10/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: