Job offersmore »
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
- US Romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak quite relentless
- A challenging new citrus import season from southern hemisphere
- NZ: Spraying without chemicals, residues or health and safety issues
- Busy first day of CPMA show in sunny Vancouver
- "Rumours causing importers to switch from Chinese to Spanish garlic"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Karel Casteels, Lathouers & Co:
Belgium: "Potatoes and chicory marketed under Deli D'or"The company Lathouwers & Co is established in Wolvertem close to Brussels.
The company has specialised for years in supplying potatoes and chicory. For a year now part of these products have been marketed under the brand Deli D'or. The other part is for Colruyt and is sold under private label to the consumer. "A year ago we started the design of the packaging and the introduction of Deli D'or products. First the chicory and after that the potatoes" Karel Casteels tells. "Of course we have also been looking for customers and the client assortment is still growing."
According to Karel there are various requirements for the selected growers. "We do not grow chicory ourselves, but have selected between 15 and 20 growers. We focus in the first instance in the area of quality. Also the length, thickness and assortment of the products are of great importance. In this way we supply an exclusive product in a nice packaging. "In the area of potatoes Lathouwers supply
local and imported ones in combination with the packings suitable for the season.
The potatoes and chicory are packed in special Deli D'or packings. The chicory in each packing has its own quality reference according to the norms as stated in the specification of requirements. We have four packings. The assortment is boxes of 2.5 kgs, bags of 1 kg and 500 grs. In the last one we have made a difference between chicory grown by hydro-culture and in the traditional way. "The difference is open ground chicory is far more work intensive. Apart from this, open ground chicory is very area bound and is only grown close to Brussels from October till the middle of April. Therefore this season is just about over."
Karel expects a quiet summer. "In the chicory market it is always quiet during the summer months due to little demand. Then we have more time to focus on new clients and to make the Deli D'Or brand better known. Possibly the product assortment of hallmark Deli D'or will be extended in the future."
For more information:
Lathouers & Co
Tel: 0032 52-397900
Fax: 0032 52-397902
Publication date: 5/7/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: