Job offersmore »
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe - Benelux and Scandinavia
- Grower Manager - Tuakau, New Zealand
- Sales representative - (TN, KY, NC, SC and GA) USA
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Rain delays asparagusDue to the high temperatures at the end of March in the UK, the earliest recorded harvest of small quantities of the outdoor crop took place in the last few days of the month. However, as the weather became considerably cooler through April, production slowed (and in most cases stopped). Not only has the air temperature throughout April affected the crop but the rain has cooled the soil temperature as well, compounding the effect.
The British supply is currently not at full volumes and, although the current warmer days should give some help to crop growth, the forecast is for temperatures to cool towards the end of the week which will slow growth again. Current predictions are that it will be another 10 days to 2 weeks before full UK supply is reached across all retailers.
The long term forecast for May is also not good but this does have the side benefit of spreading the asparagus supply more evenly throughout the season which should provide more availability for the Jubilee weekend that we might normally expect for that time of year.
For more information
Tel: 0044117 924 7220
Publication date: 5/2/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: