Job offersmore »
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
Top 5 - yesterday
- "Greenhouses involve a great investment, but yield good results"
- Argentina: Mendoza shipments to Brazil are delayed by the crisis
- Andres Ribas, Vientosur: “A good citrus import-season expected in Europe”
- “We use sustainable development goals and are producing healthy food”
- Edible ink allows invisible label printing on fruit
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
And related hypertension, learning and memory impairments
Grape consumption may offer benefits for anxiety
New research presented this week at the Experimental Biology conference in San Diego, California, suggests that grape consumption may be able to positively affect anxiety and related hypertension, as well as cognitive impairments associated with anxiety. Researchers observed a protective role of grapes on anxiety-like behavior, learning and memory function, and hypertension in rats. The researchers attributed these benefits to the antioxidant effect of grapes.
The researchers noted that while anxiety disorders, cognitive impairment and hypertension are distinct and complex diagnostic categories, they also share key similarities and can often overlap. For example, of the approximately 40 million people in the U.S. that have anxiety disorders, 10 million of them have hypertension. Additionally, oxidative stress is thought to contribute to learning and memory deficits, although exactly how this occurs is not yet clear.
“These results suggest promising potential for grapes in a very important area of health,” said Samina Salim, Ph.D., the lead investigator. “We attribute the benefits of the grapes to their antioxidant activity and their ability to combat oxidative stress.”
The study was supported by two grants from the National Institutes of Health, and a Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship award. Grapes were provided in the form of a freeze-dried whole grape powder by the California Table Grape Commission.
The Experimental Biology conference is a multidisciplinary, scientific meeting focused on research and life sciences, covering general fields of study such as anatomy, biochemistry, nutrition, pathology and pharmacology. The conference is comprised of nearly 14,000 scientists and exhibitors.
The California Table Grape Commission was created by the California legislature in 1967 to increase worldwide demand for fresh California grapes through a variety of research and promotional programs.
Publication date: 4/27/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: