Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
- “Asian vegetables are no longer a niche product”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Germany: Edeka to expandEdeka has announced plans to open hundreds of new outlets in Germany, even as it reported strong growth for its last fiscal year.
The retail giant said it plans to open 400 new outlets in 2012, in a move that will create more than 4,000 new jobs. CEO Markus Mosa said the expansion will see the group invest nearly €1.4bn, and will include the modernisation of its commercial infrastructure.
The announcement came after Edeka said sales for its last fiscal year rose by a solid 4.7% to €45.6bn, which it attributed to its full-range supermarket division. It also noted that independent retailers saw sales top the €20bn mark for the first time. Meanwhile, Netto Marken-Discount posted a sales increase of 3.3% to €10.7bn.
During the year, Edeka opened more than 190 new retail outlets, which helped raise its sales area to more than 10 million sq. ft. for the first time. The group transferred 75 full-range stores to independents.
Publication date: 4/27/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: