Job offersmore »
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
- Floriculture Sales and Marketing Professional
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Cascadian Farms promotes organic celebrationsFor Earth Day this year, Cascadian Farm is encouraging people to create a new tradition of celebration as a reward for caring for the planet year round, by participating in the organic movement.
To build conversation around the benefits of eating organic and to raise awareness for a new tradition of celebrating Earth Day with an organic meal, Cascadian Farm welcomes newcomers and organic enthusiasts to "like" their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/cascadianfarm and join more than 200,000 others in their celebration.
Cascadian Farm will be posting ideas and encouragement for Facebook fans to start their own Earth Day celebrations including earth-friendly decorations, organic recipes such as Breaded Chicken with Edamame Succotash and Spinach Manicotti, and a "Let's Celebrate, It's Earth Day!" sweepstakes with a chance to win a year's supply of a Cascadian Farm organic product.
"At Cascadian Farm, we work to provide high quality, wholesome organic foods," said Dom Alcocer, Marketing Manager. "We hope that this new tradition of celebrating Earth Day with an organic meal starts conversations about the benefits of eating organic both for the earth and for ourselves."
Organic refers to the way agricultural products and foods are grown and processed. Cascadian Farm provides helpful information on its website to educate consumers about organic benefits, which include:
1. Organic foods have strict standards. They are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, chemical fertilizers, or genetically-engineered ingredients and the USDA has specific labeling rules to help consumers know exactly what's in the food they buy.
2. Organic farms can use less energy. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Association, organic agriculture performs better than conventional agriculture on a per acre scale, both with respect to direct energy consumption and indirect consumption.
3. Healthy soil is produced. Organic farmers are required to demonstrate how they've improved soil quality. Cascadian Farm does this by partnering with farmers that rotate their crops, compost and plant cover crops over the winter, among other organic practices.
4. Organic farmers are leaders in research. Cascadian Farm relies on partnerships with organizations such as the Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF), which funds research to help farmers minimize the impact farming has on the environment.
5. Help local farmers. Many organic farms are family owned and buying organic food supports the community and the people that work within it.
Publication date: 4/23/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: