Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
India: 28,000 tonnes grape to EUGrape growers in Maharashtra have exported 28,136 tonnes of table grapes to countries in the European Union between February and April this year. This is equal to 7,308 tonnes more than for the same period last year.
Pandurang Watharkar, director of processing and planning at the state department of agriculture, said, "The total export, which will continue till the end of April, is likely to touch the 32,000 tonne mark. Farmers are being paid Rs 40 to Rs 60 per kg ($0.76-$1.15US) by exporters, which is higher than the domestic price."
"No other state in the country exports grapes. The turnover of grapes in the import-export market is more than Rs 300 crore."
It is good news for the growrs, but the amounts being celebrated now still palce in comparison to the pre-2010 levels when retailers in the EU rejected Indian grapes after finding traces of growth hormone.
The state has around 66,000 hectare under grape cultivation, which produces approximately two lakh tonnes.
Publication date: 4/19/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: