Job offersmore »
- Management Accountant - Portugal
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Chile exhibited its fruit export offer in London
- TOMRA launches new food sorter user interface to improve work flow
- Maersk Line papaya shipment opens India to new markets
- Matthew Brigotti joins Idaho Potato Commission as Foodservice Promotion Director
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
India: Watermelon sales drop as consumers swtich to mangoApril is usually a good month for watermelon sales in Karnataka, but not so this year.
Many vendors are also losing stock as the weather is so hot the fruit is rapidly deteriorating.
Strangely, the vendors complain business has been dull over the past fortnight. Many have also reported losses as the quality of the fruit deteriorates due to extreme heat.
At least one of the reasons for this seems to be a consumer switch-over to mangoes, despite the fact that they are very highly priced currently as a result of limited supplies.
Farooq Ali, a roadside vendor, said: "I am hardly selling 15 plates of watermelon a day now. At the start of summer, business was good as I was selling around 60 plates a day."
Fruit vendors say the price of the watermelons is a little higher than last season, as drought has effected supply somewhat.
Publication date: 4/19/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: