Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
India: Watermelon sales drop as consumers swtich to mangoApril is usually a good month for watermelon sales in Karnataka, but not so this year.
Many vendors are also losing stock as the weather is so hot the fruit is rapidly deteriorating.
Strangely, the vendors complain business has been dull over the past fortnight. Many have also reported losses as the quality of the fruit deteriorates due to extreme heat.
At least one of the reasons for this seems to be a consumer switch-over to mangoes, despite the fact that they are very highly priced currently as a result of limited supplies.
Farooq Ali, a roadside vendor, said: "I am hardly selling 15 plates of watermelon a day now. At the start of summer, business was good as I was selling around 60 plates a day."
Fruit vendors say the price of the watermelons is a little higher than last season, as drought has effected supply somewhat.
Publication date: 4/19/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: