Job offersmore »
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
- Category Manager – Avocado & Mango Australia
- International Buyer exotics (Spanish speaking) - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
India: Watermelon sales drop as consumers swtich to mangoApril is usually a good month for watermelon sales in Karnataka, but not so this year.
Many vendors are also losing stock as the weather is so hot the fruit is rapidly deteriorating.
Strangely, the vendors complain business has been dull over the past fortnight. Many have also reported losses as the quality of the fruit deteriorates due to extreme heat.
At least one of the reasons for this seems to be a consumer switch-over to mangoes, despite the fact that they are very highly priced currently as a result of limited supplies.
Farooq Ali, a roadside vendor, said: "I am hardly selling 15 plates of watermelon a day now. At the start of summer, business was good as I was selling around 60 plates a day."
Fruit vendors say the price of the watermelons is a little higher than last season, as drought has effected supply somewhat.
Publication date: 4/19/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: