Job offersmore »
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
- General Manager Latin America - Mexico
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Germany: Start of pepper season in Schleswig-HolsteinIn the German state of Schleswig-Holstein the pepper season has started. Recently, in Germany's largest greenhouse in Hemmingstedt the beginning of the harvest was officially inaugurated. "After the difficult EHEC-year of 2011 we are once again optimistic about the future and we look forward to the start of the season," said project manager Frank Schoof.
In the twelve-acre greenhouse, 1,400 tonnes of peppers will be harvested in the next eight months for the Northern German market. In addition a further 3,000 tonnes of "Made in Schleswig-Holstein" tomatoes will be harvested. In order to ensure that the plants in wet Northern Germany have a comfortable temperature of 20 degrees Celsius, the greenhouse must often be heated. On average the greenhouse uses 1200 MWh of heat per week - an amount which corresponds to the total annual consumption of 600 households.
Publication date: 4/12/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: