Job offersmore »
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
- General Manager Latin America - Mexico
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (MI): 25% grapes lost to frostHildebrand fruit Farms has already lost 25% of grape crops due to recent frosts. The grapes budded one month ahead of schedule, like many fruit baring plants this season, placing them directly at risk from late cold weather.
Normally the grapes yield annually 8 tonnes, but this is not likely to happen this year, says owner Mike Hildebrand. Mike is especially concerned as more frost is predicted and there is nothing he can do, but wait and see what happens.
He's still being upbeat at the moment, just cautiously so. "There isn’t a disaster, yet. We’re teetering right at that point," said Hildebrand.
His other crops have also suffered - apples and peaches. Hildebrand estimates 3 out of 10 apple blossoms have survived, and he has concerns about the pollination levels in the peaches because their bees did not arrive in time.
And he isn’t the only grower experiencing these problems. Hildebrand reported devastating losses to the cherry crop near Traverse City, Michigan and to the local asparagus crop as well.
Publication date: 4/12/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: