Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- Eden Agri Citrus: black farmers assume majority share-holding in packhouse
- Canadian growers shake their heads at talk of boycotting US goods
- First ever red sweet onions out of Walla Walla
- New Zealand: Exclusive avocado access to Australia under threat
- German specialist extending shelf life without preservatives
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
India: Roadside sales to nations first fruit and veg retail chainKovai Pazhamudir Nilayam has gone from roadside vending to regional retail star. The name means Orchard of Fruits and the company is the first purely fruit and vegetable retail chain in the country.
While other chains such as Reliance and More have posted large losses (Rs 44 crore for Reliance, Rs 423 crore for Aditya Birla’s More), Kovai says that it posted Rs 3 crore profit on revenues of Rs 150 crore in 2011-2012.
Today, Kovai has expanded to 34 outlets, still owned and operated by the same family that started trading at the roadside in the 1960s.
Saloni Nangia, senior vice president & head, retail & consumer products, Technopak Advisors feels that regional brands like Kovai’s are successful because they understand their customer’s needs better.
Lastaki Advisors Pvt Ltd, an investment banking company says that another reason for their outsized success is because "the promoters have come from a farming community, they know the pulse of the farmers and understand them."
Publication date: 4/11/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: