Job offersmore »
- (Senior) Account manager USA
- Ein- und Verkäufer - Germany
- Banana Production Specialist / Agricultural Consultants Bananas -
- Senior Grower - United Kingdom
- Export Manager - Roermond, The Netherlands
- Production manager Pepper (FT) - Israel or the Netherlands
- Associate Breeder Cucumber (FT) - Haelen, the Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Manager - Australia
- Grower Manager - Australia
- Technical and Business Development Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- UK: Don't waste your money on organic food
- Peruvian Hass avocados in desperate search for new markets
- Staay Food Group expands with divisions in Spain and Poland
- 7th fruit import distribution facility in China for Lantao
- Dutch greenhouse cherries: quality can take on competition of outdoor cultivation
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (GA): Mildew cuts down Vidalia tonnage
Downy mildew disease looks to affect the upcoming Vidalia onion crop. Although the disease primarily strikes onion leaves, it's anticipated crop yields will be hurt.
The disease could cut down this year's crop by about 20%, according to Steve Roberson of the Roberson Onion Company. But since Downy mildew strikes plant leaves, Roberson doesn't think onion quality will be affected much.
"Bulb quality should be fine," he says, "there just won't be as much tonnage as there would have been otherwise."
Overall, he believes that, despite reduced volume and smaller sizing, they'll have a decent season.
"We will have a little reduced volume," he notes, "but we should have good quality."
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: