Job offersmore »
- Ein- und Verkäufer - Germany
- Banana Production Specialist / Agricultural Consultants Bananas -
- Senior Grower - United Kingdom
- Export Manager - Roermond, The Netherlands
- Production manager Pepper (FT) - Israel or the Netherlands
- Associate Breeder Cucumber (FT) - Haelen, the Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Manager - Australia
- Grower Manager - Australia
- Technical and Business Development Manager - Australia
- Fresh Produce Trader/Account Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Carrefour grows in Italy for first time in five years
- Joint initiative for Global Food Security through good agricultural practices
- Michelle Obama vows to quit 'French fries'
- Convenience singles out the most popular fruit and vegetables in UK
- Affordable cold chain solutions to protect valuable assets
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (GA): Mildew cuts down Vidalia tonnage
Downy mildew disease looks to affect the upcoming Vidalia onion crop. Although the disease primarily strikes onion leaves, it's anticipated crop yields will be hurt.
The disease could cut down this year's crop by about 20%, according to Steve Roberson of the Roberson Onion Company. But since Downy mildew strikes plant leaves, Roberson doesn't think onion quality will be affected much.
"Bulb quality should be fine," he says, "there just won't be as much tonnage as there would have been otherwise."
Overall, he believes that, despite reduced volume and smaller sizing, they'll have a decent season.
"We will have a little reduced volume," he notes, "but we should have good quality."
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: