Job offersmore »
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
- Sales Area Managers - Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Portugal
- Chief Operations Officer - Deerfield (MA) USA
- LED strategic account manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Uganda to export fresh plantain to USUganda is going to start the export of fresh peeled plantain bananas - matooke - to the US, under the banana value chain project.
The Danish Development Agency (Danida) $2m (Shs4.9b) funded project will be implemented under the Uganda Industrial Research Institute (UIRI).
“Under the new arrangements, quality matooke will be peeled and packed for export to the States and other European countries. The project is awaiting arrival of machines that will enhance quality of exports,” said Godfrey Atuheire the winner of the Danida grant.
He said that the project will also include the production of packaging made in an environmentally sustainable way. The banana bags will be made from banana, rice, sorghum, bamboo fibres, maize, sisal and wheat. The bag making machine has already been ordered from India.
Herbert Kabafunzaki, the Chief Executive officer Berteeen Business Systems and the LC councillor for Wakiso district who said such projects would help create employment for hundreds of jobless young people. "I hail UIRI for training youths, some from as far as Kabale where they have left their families."
He pointed out that the solution to unemployment is not squarely on the shoulders of government. "Entrepreneurship is the way to go. It is the livelihood of improvement of man."
Publication date: 4/5/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: