Job offersmore »
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
Top 5 - yesterday
- South Africa: "Farming with grapes is a sprint, citrus is a marathon."
- Photos reveal Del Monte's new pink pineapple
- Colombia: Chiquita accused of crimes against humanity
- Greek producers are great trading partners for Poland
- "The PGI will strengthen our expansion project for Canary bananas in Europe"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (CA): Citrus quarantine zone announcedYesterday the quarantine area was declared after last week's discovery of citrus greening in California. The area covers 93 square miles in the Hacienda Heights area of LA County and a portion of Orange County.
The area is part of a larger quarantine already in place in Southern California for the Asian citrus psyllid, that pest that spreads greening disease.
The quarantine prohibits the removal of any fruit that is not commercially cleaned and packaged. Any other fruit must remain on the property on which it is grown and must be consumed there also.
The quarantine zone is centered near State Route 60 and Hacienda Boulevard, and extends south into a 3-square-mile slice of Orange County, north into Baldwin Park and West Covina, west into South El Monte and Whittier and east into Walnut and Rowland Heights.
"The success of any quarantine depends on cooperation from those affected," said Karen Ross, secretary of the state agriculture department. "The stakes couldn't be higher for California citrus. We urge residents in the Hacienda Heights area to do all they can to comply."
The quarantine zone is expected to be in place for a minimum of two years, even if there are not further outbreaks of the disease.
Publication date: 4/4/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: