Job offersmore »
- Divisional Sales Manager - North-East United States
- Greenhouse Sales Manager Canada
- Horticulture Sales Specialist - U.S. & Canada
- Horticultural Lighting Technical Sales Representative – Central & Eastern US
- Head Grower Lettuce - Coaldale, Canada (AB)
- Sales Account Manager, Horticulture - United States
- Stellvertretender Betriebsleiter - Switzerland
- Sales Representatives - Europe/North Africa/Asia/United States of America
- Grower specialist lettuce and other leafy vegetables, Canada
- Head Grower, Co-Founder - Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Hundreds of thousands of kilograms of top fruit ready for destruction
- “Brazil the only country supplying mangoes to Europe all year round”
- Costa Rica finds its niche as Brazil tries to extend its season
- “It is almost impossible to market a new apple variety”
- Fresh Summit sets East Coast attendee record
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Citrus production down for 2011-2012 season
A USDA Economic Research Service report estimates total citrus production to be down in the United States for the 2011-2012 season. Although overall orange production was up from last year, decreases in all other citrus categories brought total production down.
The total citrus forecast for the 2011-2012 season is 11.6 million tons, down from the previous season’s total of 11.7 million tons.
At 2.3 million tons, California’s orange production was down from the 2010-2011 season due to a navel orange crop that, at 1.8 million tons, was 8% smaller than the previous year. Florida orange production was up from the 2010-2011 season with a total of 6.6 million tons.
A freeze in Arizona that caused significant damage to the lemon crop contributed to lower production. At 28,000 tons, Arizona’s production was down 72% from the previous year while national production was down 14% at 808,000 tons. Imported lemons, mostly from Mexico, helped shore up lower domestic production.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: